Forget that frozen excuse for chicken Marsala to be found made by Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine or whoever is trying to fool you this time. No, the only chicken Marsala worth its salt is an authentic, Italian preparation, meaning no microwave!
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 (3 oz) thin-sliced skinless chicken breast halves (1/4 inch thick)
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup dry Marsala wine
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 garlic clove, bruised and peeled
1. Use a large, nonstick skillet to heat the olive oil.
2. In a plastic bag with a zipper top, mix together the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and shake well to coat.
3. Remove the chicken from the plastic bag and place it in the skillet after shaking off any excess flour. Saute for about 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through, and transfer to a warm platter.
4. Combine the mushrooms, wine, parsley, basil, and garlic in the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup, then discard the garlic.
5. Reduce the heat and add the chicken (as well as any juices there may be) to the skillet. Warm to serving temperature, then serve the chicken topped with the sauce.
Try this tasty Italian dish as a romantic entree, paired with some light pasta or risotto and a great glass of wine. Use the best mushrooms you can, only the freshest and most flavorful will do for a good chicken Marsala. Finish off the night with a great tiramisu and you will have the perfect Italian dinner on your plate!